Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A summer favorite!

Happy belated 4th to everyone!  Since we were outside for a long period of time on Monday waiting for the fireworks, this product was really handy, and using it made me feel that I should write a quick blog about it since I love it so much.  This is definitely one of my favorite items at the moment.  I'm very happy to pass the info on this along, especially if anyone reading this has never heard of it, or was thinking about purchasing something similar but has yet to.



One word for this stuff:  AMAZING.  Let me start off by reminding everyone that I am pregnant, and because of my increase in blood volume, I smell extra yummy to mosquitos.  I have always had a problem with mosquito bites anyway, but I'm especially tasty to them now in my pregnancy.  My 6 year old also has my "sweet blood", I suppose, because they immediately swarm us both anytime we try to play outdoors.  I try to stay as chemical free as possible with products I use on my kids (and myself), and I believe it's extra important while pregnant.  As soon as we (my husband and I) found out that we were expecting, it was like he would come home every day with another item that he hoped I would substitute for something else I was using, to benefit or reduce chemical exposure to our unborn baby.  I've tried other "natural" or "herbal" insect repellents before, so I'm always skeptical, but this one really exceeded my expectations.  This stuff truly works.

We picked ours up from our local natural foods store for a little less than $10, so I'm sure you can find it near you as well or you can purchase it through Amazon (links below) for possibly a little less than we got it.  The only problem I have with this stuff is that the smell is REALLY strong.  REALLY.... really strong.  My 6 year old says it smells like chocolate, and I guess I smell a hint of chocolate as well, but whatever it is, it's not very pleasing to me at the moment.  He doesn't mind, and my husband doesn't mind the smell, although they do agree that it's a strong scent regardless.  Again, my problem with the smell could simply be because my pregnant sense of smell is out of control right now (I even hate the smell of my deodorant now, the same brand I've been using for years and love), but I would still say to give it a try.  It works SO great that I'm able to ignore (or maybe I've become accustomed to) the smell knowing that we are well protected, naturally.  We all just make sure to take a nice quick shower after using it anyway to avoid bringing the smell into our beds at night and rolling around in chocolate-y smelling bed sheets.

It is made from natural oils, and warns to keep away from eyes and mouth because of irritation possibilities.  It also says to not spray on the hands of children.  This makes sense with anything really because we all know as much as we teach them not to, children always tend to find a reason to put their little hands in or near their mouth anyway.  Lasts for up to 8 hours and can be reapplied as much as needed.  I LOVE this stuff!  I've used deet products before that wouldn't keep the bugs away as much as this does.  It is an "insect repellent", so I'm not sure what other insects it works against and how well, but I know it keeps the mosquitos far, far away from us.  I hope it works just as well against ticks, because I really dislike those little buggers too.

Is there a natural or herbal insect repellent (or any product really) that any of you are completely satisfied with as well?  Pass on the info in the comments section for everyone, or feel free to message me and maybe I'll check it out and write my own review on it.

To purchase Bite Blocker:



MamaFab♥

No comments:

Post a Comment