Monday, July 11, 2011

Pregnancy update

31 weeks!!!

So, I had a check up today and so far everything still looks great.  A little back story...  I have a high risk pregnancy due to a cardiac condition that was diagnosed a few years ago.  I am followed by a high risk ob/gyn at a local hospital that is well known for being one of the best in cardiology as well as maternal fetal medicine.  Due to my unique condition, I'm currently one of the top followed patients there.  I have been seen every two weeks, and occasionally weekly at the hospital.  During my visits, I go through the normal process that most pregnant women go through (weight check, blood pressure check, etc.), but I also have to talk about my condition and how it affects my daily living as well as having a growth scan of the baby.  I was placed on bed rest at only 18 weeks and had to leave my job working with children in an arts and crafts setting, and working retail part-time.  It's kind of a good thing because I honestly couldn't do it any more at that point anyway.  I was having early contractions and everyone was not only worried about my cardiac health, but the babies health at that point too since I was having so many contractions while I was working.  Unfortunately, an echocardiogram done in April did show a small decrease in my cardiac function, compared to an echo that I had done just a few months prior.

Since I am on daily medication for my heart, I also have sonograms every week or two weeks to check the babies growth.  So far, he has been exactly on target!  (oh, and yes, I found out I was having a boy around the 16th week I believe :)  Today, we saw him open his eyes during the sonogram, watched him practice breathing (how amazing!) and found that his arms and legs are actually measuring at almost 33 weeks gestation.  Looks like he's gonna be tall like his mama!  He is in a breech position, and has been for the last month.

I was having some issues with my heart for the last 3 weeks or so where my palpitations seem to be getting stronger and more frequent.  I also experienced a little more weakness and dizziness than usual.  I was sent to the cardiac center of the hospital to have a holter monitor placed on me, and the results were not yet in today so I'm not sure if anything showed up or not, but I'm staying positive.  Honestly, I don't mind the holter monitor because the maximum amount of time they usually keep those on you is 3 days, and I was only prescribed 24 hours with this one.  I have however, had to wear several event monitors which were more of a pain because those I had to wear for a few months at a time.  No fun.

All in all, it was a good day.  It's always pleasant to get to see my baby and know he's doing well inside of me.  Time for some sleep, and I'll be blogging again soon!

MamaFab



No comments:

Post a Comment